Ink is the world’s leading travel media company producing award-winning inflight-media for 30 airlines. We work across all forms of print, digital and video, successfully creating engaging content and selling advertising across multiple platforms.
Ink is recruiting for an experienced, commercially-minded magazine editor to take charge of Ethiopian Airlines’ new bi-monthly inflight magazine. This is a rare opportunity to relaunch Selamta magazine as a modern inflight title, that puts Addis Ababa and Ethiopia at the core of its content, then covering Africa first and the rest of the world second. The editor will be an ideas-driven content creator with indepth knowledge of current affairs in Africa, from local business innovations to travel stories beyond the cliché. The ideal candidate will have mininum five years' magazine publishing experience and an interest in creating solutions for where editorial and commercial meet.
- Defining the magazine’s identity to be on-brand for Ethiopian’s travel demographic.
- Taking full ownership of the title, from inception through to print; creating captivating story lists; commissioning and writing copy and managing the production workflow.
- Successful account management and close liaising with the client on their marketing objectives.
- Supporting and working with the commercial team plus actively thinking of how to complement their objectives.
- Collaborating with the art director to produce a creatively striking print product that stands out in the market place.
- Producing the magazine on time and within budget to the full satisfaction of the client.
- Managing freelancers from subeditors to writers, applying an expertly editoral polish to ensure a consistent tone of voice.
- Five years editing a business, travel or lifestyle print title, ideally with an Africa focus.
- A can-do approach, well-organised, creative and calm under pressure with an eye for a good story.
- Experience in travel writing and ability to commission to a tight brief and small budget.
- Existing contacts in Addis and other African cities with established journalists.
Please apply with your cover letter, CV and work samples (with Ethiopian Editor in the subject line) to Ink’s Editorial Director Kerstin Zumstein at firstname.lastname@example.org by 15th July. Only successful candidates will be contacted.